Podcast: Play in new window | Download (Duration: 14:40 — 16.8MB) | Embed
Subscribe: Apple Podcasts | Android | Google Podcasts | TuneIn | Spotify |
Podcasting is growing, professionalizing, and gaining interest — but what will it take to move beyond the 17% of US podcast listeners? Do we choose broad listenership, or squabble over an increasingly competitive space with thin margins?
- A collective sigh after Podcast Movement and Voice Summit – a growing adoption, professionalism
- New products and tools entering the marketplace that change the way we think about stats and reports
- More use of IAB Standards
- At least $200M invested in podcasting in last year
- Yet only 17% of US is listening
- Significant growth, professionalism – yet why is huge untapped market untapped
- How to grow and expand?
- Change in content types, adjusting to listening habits
- Market for podcast players is fractured
- If Google Podcast App is in Top Ten apps but only .5% of the marketplace, what can that tell us?
- Massive competition for the same people as listeners?
- Do listeners have too many choices, causing paralysis?
- Too many players?
- So many barriers to entry accumulating because of competition
- should be deeper than 17% – mobile is available, content is free, most content speaks to broad audience
- Need deeper penetration across the country, user types
- Having trouble reaching ears of people
- Incredible amount of adoption, growth, professionalization, content is fresh, endless opportunities in ways people an adopt podcasts into lives
- Going back to storytelling and spoken word
- Our strategic choices as an industry impact ability to conquer and grow
- Broad listenership, or squabble over increasingly competitive space with thin margins?
MouthMedia Network CEO Rob Sanchez shares thoughts and insights on the future of growth within the podcast industry.
Plus: the latest headlines in podcasting and on-demand from Podnews.