Will the updated Google Podcast Player — and easier access to podcasts — lead to a boom and expansion in the podcast world? What does this mean for advertising models, new revenue streams, the potential of device-to-device podcast hand-offs, and the need for podcast producers to stop and listen more closely to their content? Plus an interview with Elle Martinez of the podcast “Couple Money”, and headlines from podcasting and on-demand from Podnews…
- Despite considerable use of Android phones, podcasts are listened to 80% on Apple, 11% on Android phones
- It’s now easier to access podcasts, see boom and expansion in podcast world
- The integration of search with podcasts, how the web app can save podcasts you’ve subscribed to, and why though a basic feature, it has importance
- Casual listeners can now test podcasting without downloading an app
- How there seems to be no integration of advertising, yet podcasts shown in Google results
- Looking at some new functionality that could generate revenue streams for some podcasters
- The potential for donations to be solicited by podcasters
- Will the advertising model shift at all?
- Why the new player changes how producers promote podcasts and rely on people finding them
- Will this become the “Land of the Giants”
- Is there a different kind of content that Google is looking for?
- Why didn’t Google engage as meaningfully in podcasts prior to now?
- How there are now opportunities to play with new ways of distributing content, i.e. in home devices, and how Google is working on handing off device to device
- The ubiquity of Google to interact with a person’s life, and the ability to hand content off device to device, resulting in a lot of data about life that is played into recommendation engine
- The changes in listener experience interacting with the actual content that can be creating a variety of interaction paradigms, developing content, shifting public to private
- Google’s player can help get more people excited about podcasting, and result in perhaps another renaissance
- Why this is a chance for podcast producers to stop and listen to content and consider how it is going out to the world